My view on fidget toys vs ones I've hear from schools.

     I knew nothing about fidget toys three months ago before enter the ecommerce world of fidget toys. My wife and I watched my son who has autism and FASD ( fetal alcohol spectrum disorder) fidget with shirt collars, cords,pencils, and anything close to him. He also has a thing with chewing on stuff like his shirts, pencil eraser,and cords (scary enough) so we knew we had to buy him something.
Fidget Spinner

After searching the web my wife found a few over priced things that took a bit to find. We then came up with the idea to start our own online store with all our favorite fidgets and sensory toys all in one place so there was no need to search all over the internet. That's when Happy Hands Toys was introduced as a one stop shop for kids or adults with special needs.

As I said I had no idea what fidgets were let alone a fidget spinner. Now after three months of being open and reading about everything fidgets related I noticed I was seeing school's upset by the distractions of spinners. The Chicago Tribune wrote:
 "The aptly named fidgets are supposed to enhance concentration, reduce anxiety and stimulate learning. But some educators aren't buying the spin. They say the toys have become a major distraction to teachers and students, and, in some cases, they're being banned from classrooms." 

I would tend to agree with the schools but when it comes to kids with special needs these fidgets can help concentration greatly. I have seen it in my own son and with a chew necklace on or a small fidget in his hand he doesn't rock in his chair nearly as much and he's not playing with everything around him. 
I think a Slinky is one of the earliest fidget toys,” psychologist Dr. Harris Stratyner said.He said fidget toys are often used by doctors while treating patients with autism, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder“When they fidget with a fidget toy, it takes their mind off — it soothes their mind. So it’s mind and body are one,” Stratyner said.

He said the toys can really help just about anyone focus.
“You can also generate ideas. It just centers you,” Stratyner said. “And when you’re fidgeting with something, your hands are feeding back to your brain a signal that you’re involved in a repetitive task. That repetitive task frees up your mind.”“My kids have sensory issues actually, and some of them are ADD. But all of them like it,” Burek said. “It helps them think, helps them to homework.”
Now on the other hand kids playing with spinners in class, I can see why teachers might get annoyed or upset with fidget spinners being so popular. But what I want is for teacher to understand that kids on the spectrum really do better with a fidget or sensory toy in class or when they are doing work.
Bike Chain Key Ring Fidget
I can see both sides of the argument, but I hope they separate a fun toy to play with from a functional and necessary fidget or sensory toy. Since starting our website I have found myself with a spinner or Bike Chain Fidget in my hand quite a bit, and they are really fun! But for neurotypical kids these toys are just fun to play with and end up being a distraction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Growth of Drone Photography

Water Beads Demo